At every age and stage of dental development, you need to receive dental services as unique as your smile. In this post, we’ll review some of the ways families in Corpus Christi, Port Arthur, and Beaumont can care for their oral health at every stage of dental care. Our La Costa Dental team has five convenient locations where we offer a wide range of services to keep patients’ smiles healthy for life. You can find us in Corpus Christi on Ayers Street, Kostoryz Road, and Leopard Street. We also have offices in Port Arthur and Beaumont, so one of our La Costa Dental offices is nearby for patients throughout south Texas. Call us today to find out more or schedule your first appointment.
Infant Dental Care
Even before your child’s first tooth erupts from the gum line, you need to be keeping an eye on their developing dental structures. To care for your child’s growing smiles, you should keep the following in mind:
- Wipe down your child’s gums with a clean, damp cloth after they’re done eating.
- Do not allow babies to fall asleep with bottles in their mouths unless the bottle contains breast milk.
- Bring your child to the dentist for a wellness check around the age of one or after the eruption of the first teeth.
- Start brushing teeth as soon as they erupt from the gums.
- As soon as your child has two teeth that touch, you’ll need to start flossing between them.
Throughout your child’s smile development, you will need to work with our dentistry team to keep their teeth healthy. We’ll be your partners in teaching kids proper oral hygiene, and making sure they achieve and maintain their healthiest smiles. Additionally, we offer a variety of services like dental sealants and fluoride treatments to strengthen and protect smiles.
Smile Care for Teens
Once adult teeth are fully developed, we begin our partnership with patients to achieve their healthiest smiles. For teens, that may include orthodontic correction with braces. We also offer wisdom tooth assessments and extractions.
Adult Dentistry Services
Every patient at La Costa Dental will receive a personalized treatment plan to keep their smiles whole and healthy. The key to adult dental care is visiting our team twice a year for dental checkups and teeth cleanings. These preventive office visits allow our team to help you stop the majority of oral health concerns before they begin, and provide the most conservative restoration services when dental decay or damage can’t be avoided.
Dental Care for Expectant Mothers
Expectant mothers often experience gingivitis or more advanced gum disease. They are also at risk for pregnancy tumors. As soon as you know you’re pregnant, schedule an appointment with your dentist. We’ll check your oral health to ensure there are no warning signs of gum disease. If you have a pregnancy tumor, do not panic. The name sounds very intimidating, but these tumors are typically completely benign. For your safety, we will likely not attempt to remove the tumor unless it does not clear up on its own following delivery.
Dentistry Services for Seniors
Older patients are at risk for a number of oral health concerns that are not as likely earlier in life. Some of the common concerns we monitor for in seniors include:
- Dry mouth – reduced saliva production allows plaque and tartar to buildup on teeth and gums. This increases risk for tooth decay and gum disease.
- Tooth loss – as patients age, bone density and soft tissue volume diminish, which can cause tooth loss.
- Sleep apnea – patients over the age of 50 are much more likely to experience sleep apnea.