YOUR CHILD’S FIRST VISIT TO THE DENTIST
The first dental visit could happen as early as 6 months.
We will examine your child’s teeth and gums and x-rays may be taken if your child’s dentist feels the need. Then we will clean your child’s teeth and apply topical fluoride to help protect the teeth against decay.
Tips for an enjoyable “first dental appointment”:
- Give your child “tour” of the office before your actual appointment
- Read some kid-friendly books about dentists
- Explain to them the importance of dental check ups and how dentists help to maintain good oral health
- Share stories of positive dental appointments you’ve had yourself
WHAT ABOUT PREVENTATIVE CARE?
At La Costa Dental, we are concerned with ALL aspects of preventive care. We use the latest in dental sealant technology to protect your child’s teeth. Dental sealants are space-age plastics that are bonded to the chewing surfaces of decay-prone back teeth. This is just one way we are able to set the foundation for your child’s lifetime of good oral health.
Cavities can occur when diet consists of too many sugary foods and a lack of brushing. Decreasing the amount of sugar intake and brushing regularly can help. The longer the residue stays on their teeth, the greater the chances of getting cavities.
HOW TO PREVENT CAVITIES:
- Encourage brushing and flossing at least twice a day
- Avoid giving your child sticky foods
- Choose nutritious snacks that aren’t high in sugar